Friday, November 18, 2005

Patagonian plans

Well, I really can't believe that I'm leaving Buenos Aires on Wednesday. Especially since this last week has largely been spent lounging around the house and trying to recuperate. So its weird to think right after recuperating, I'm leaving! I still have so much to do in Buenos Aires. I keep telling myself that I have some time left after my Patagonia trip to finish all the last minute things I want to do.

Today was a really good day. I feel like it was my first day back in society after my illness. I did a little Christmas shopping (with the prices here, it would be insane not to) and then I had a great late lunch at this awesome cafe called Bar 6 in Palermo Soho. Its really trendy and always full but the waitstaff are really helpful and the space is really nice. The best part is that if you just want to sit and work for awhile, no one will bother you. I think I'm going to designate that place as my final meal here in BA. I haven't been raving about the food here (btw, I don't think I can eat another steak for a very long time) but the food there was really good. That meal was probably the best one I've had here. I've been hunting for a really great plate of pasta and my pasta with shrimp and grilled veggies was just perfect.

Anyway, on to the plans! As you all know, I can be a bit anal about plans and schedules so yes, last night I did spend quite a bit of time figuring out where I'm going and what I'm doing. Not really backpackery or adventurous but I want to make sure to get the most out of my trip! The plan is basically to spend a week in each area I want to visit -- Glaciares, Torres del Paine, and Tierra del Fuego.

11/23-11/27: My first week will be in National Parque de los Glaciares in Argentina. I'll spend 2 days around the Moreno Glacier and then 3 days around the Fitz Roy Cerro. Thanksgiving will be spent here but I'll try to hunt down at least some poultry and mashed potatoes to commemorate the day. I can't believe I won't be having stuffing this year! I'm also planning to do a 3-day/2-night ice trek in the Fitz Roy area with a tour group so I'll actually be climbing a glacier!

11/28-12/4: I will also spend 1 week hiking around the Torres del Paine and hanging around Puerto Natales in Chile. I really want to do a 5-day hike around the W Circuit but I think spaces are limited and I'm not sure I'm going to get the reservations I want. They have these refugios (basically, huts) along the hike, which are like hostels with beds, showers and hot meals, so you don't have to take a tent with you. But these go pretty fast and I haven't heard back from yet so its up in the air. Otherwise, I'm be setting up camp in the park and doing day hikes each day. I'll basically cover the same areas so either way is fine with me. But it would be nice to say I did the W.

12/5-12/11(ish): The last week will be spent in Punta Arenas in Chile and Ushuaia in Argentina, both at the very tip in Tierra del Fuego. There I'll be able to see penguins at the Isla Magdalena and take boats down the Magellan Strait and the Beagle Channel. No really hiking but can you believe I'll be going to same route as one of the greatest explorers?? So amazing. I also hope to stay at an estancia while in Ushuaia but I'm not exactly sure what my timing is so I have to wait a little to book. I hope to head back to Buenos Aires around December 11th and spend a couple of days before heading home on the 16th.

Anyway, I have a plane ticket in hand for Wednesday at the ungodly hour of 5:40am! Its at a frightening time but at least it means that I'm really going!!

No comments: