Friday, January 13, 2006

South america, round dos

Buen dia from Peru! I´m back in South America and its nice to be back. I spent a lovely month at home, relaxing and fattening up on my Mom´s cooking. You just appreciate home so much more when you are constantly on the move and always having to be responsible for everything. At home, food is magically cooked and clothes get magically cleaned. So it was actually a little hard to get motivated to be on the move again (I know, life is SO rough). But I´m here now and I´m so excited!! It was a little hard to get back into Spanish mode but it´ll all come back soon, I´m sure.

Well, I just got into Cusco where I plan on doing the Inca Trail to see Machu Picchu. I´ve been talking to people in my hostel (Loki Backpacker Hostel - really lovely but on top of a gigantic hill) who just came back and it all sounds so amazing. I can´t wait to get going! But I´m in Cusco for about 4 days so I can get acclimated to the altitude. I think its upwards of 10,000 feet here in Cusco, which is quite a shock to the body after flying in from sea level. I have a bit of a headache and I´m a little woozy but I think I´ll feel better tomorrow. I plan on walking around town a bit so I will post pictures soon.

After Cusco, I´m going to head down to Lake Titicaca, which is on the border between Bolivia and Peru. Its supposed to be lovely and there are these islands you can visit so I will be doing that. Then it will be down to La Paz for a few days to check out the capital. Finally, I plan on going down to Potosi to see the silver mines (and throw sticks of dynamite) and also to Uyuni to see the salt flats. I heard Bolivia is really amazing and the people are really nice so I´m excited to go there.

Finally, I´ll make my way back to Buenos Aires and back to ¨work.¨ I don´t really have a place to stay yet but I guess I will try to find a homestay one more time. Hopefully, it´ll work out this time. I think that was the one thing missing from my stay in BA during round uno. Well, I´m starting to get a bit shaky in the limbs so I probably should head to bed. Ahh, welcome back!

No comments: