Monday, April 03, 2006

On the other side of the world (in the opposite direction)

Leaving for Hong Kong!

So I'm back on the road! This time on the other side of the world but in the opposite direction than South America. Adjusting to the new timezone has been tough. I keep waking up at 4am! But let me just tell you that the food in Hong Kong is unbelievable. Actually, everything in Hong Kong has been unbelievable. I only had 3 days here but it was enough to get a taste of what Hong Kong has to offer. I was lucky enough to stay with my mom's good friend who lives out here. I was very happy about it since Hong Kong is very expensive and also, since this is my first stop on this leg, staying with someone helped me ease back into travel mode. It also helps that she has a very nice place on Hong Kong Island. I visited the area where most of the hostels are and it didn't quite measure up. Mom, do you have any other friends in Asia? :)


I spent my time walking around Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and Lantau Island. It really is interesting here since there are soooo many expats living here. English is widely spoken and used with all signs, making traveling around and buying things very easy. At the very least, they have menus with pictures on them so you can just point and choose what you want to eat. It definitely is an interesting mix of East and West, as cheesy as that sounds. That being said, there is a clear line of the have's and the have not's (guess where the expats fall?). Hong Kong Island is where all the ritzy shops and expensive restaurants are. There are certain areas where there are more expats than Chinese. And then you go over to the Kowloon side and its grittier, dirtier, and louder. It was nicer to be on the Hong Kong Island side but the Kowloon side has its own charms. It at least seems more authentic to see Chinese apothecaries than Zara stores!

The glowing signs in Hong Kong. Its like Times Square everwhere, all the time here.

Remnants of British rule. A double-decker tram? Most of the buses are double-decker also.

Yes, back under Chinese rule. Say hi to Mao! It was freaky to see all these watches with moving Mao arms all clustered together.

Incense coils at the Man Mo temple. Beware of falling ashes!

Sunset from Victoria Peak. Hong Kong Island has this huge hill and from the top, you can see all the building in Hong Kong. Though the smoggy haze makes it hard. Ugh.

Every night, there's a light show on the Hong Kong skyline that's even set to music. Its so funny to see all these building lighting up and flashing lights in a little dance. Its like Disneyland.

I also visited one of the outlying islands, Lantau Island. The only impression I had of Hong Kong before coming here was of a bustling, over-crowded city with huge skyscrapers. It is, but there are also huge areas of scenic views and beautiful landscapes. On Lantau, there are wooded walks, small fishing villages and the largest outdoor Buddha statue. It was definitely huge.

Take a look at the size of that bad boy.

Other statues at the top of the temple.

There's also this monument to the Heart Sutra, which is inscribed on these huge wooden planks, situated in the infinity sign.

There was also this huge rooster though the significance was definitely lost on me.

The last thing I would have to comment on about Hong Kong is the food!! Hong Kong is pretty expensive as a city (its about on par as New York) so I couldn't go as nuts with the food but I feel like I had a pretty good taste. The dim sum, btw, is pretty spectacular here. As are the noodles, seafood and pretty much everything else. I definitely want to come back and stay (and eat) here in style. One day, when I don't have to carry my gigantic backpack. Sigh...

Guy filleting eel. I didn't eat any but it reminds me of watching the Iron Chef. The Japansese version, not the American one.

One of the numerous noodle shops in Hong Kong. The big thing to eat is wonton noodle, which is wonton soup with noodles. The perfect thing to eat after a long day of walking around!

It was so cool to see all this street food around. It all looked so strange and delicious.

This "breakfast" was cheaper than coffee at Starbucks!

1 comment:

Angela said...

and i thought i saw the largest buddha in japan. i think i saw the largest indoor buddha? wonton noodle soup is my favorite!