Wednesday, May 24, 2006

(Im)possible rest in bangkok

As a traveler with a relatively short period of time (I know, its a whole year but still its not enough!), I pretty much race through cities, countries and continents. I try to spend as much time to see all the things I want to see and do all the things I want to do and I rarely stay in one place for more than 2 nights. But I have to tell you, after about a week in Bangkok, I'm ready to move on!!!! There's a reason I only spend 2 or 3 nights in one place! This place is starting to infect my brain and I need out.

But I needed the break though Bangkok really isn't the right place to rest and recharge (more on that later). Traveling is pretty exhausting since I have to make every moment count and make sure I plan all my transportation and tours perfectly. After about 6 weeks or so, I usually find myself pretty burnt out and instead of appreciating the things I experience, all I can do is focus on how crappy my accommodations are and how tired I am. After Tibet I was definitely in that place. I was thinking that I would extend my time in Nepal after Tibet to see more of the countryside and do some more trekking but when it came down to it, I was too tired to pickup my guidebook and plan the next step. It wouldn't be fair since I wouldn't be focusing on the experience as much as the hassle. So I decided to come to Bangkok and spend about 4 days hanging around while I waited for Ang to come.

And it was good for the most part. I read a little, sat around a little and tried to escape the heat as much as I could. I even found an internet place that is FREE and even with good connections!! There are certain things that become absolutely precious when you travel. Sturdy boots, quick-drying clothes, Purel, toilet paper, iPod, camera and blog immediately come to mind. But so is a good internet connection, which is so important for posting photos!! And the fact that this place is free is like finding an extra present hidden away under the Christmas tree. So I ended up spending many many hours in front of the computer, posting pics (I was shamefully way behind), catching up on school prep stuff, sorting my finances and catching up on all my favorite tv shows (its May sweeps, folks!). I also started to get well acquainted with Thai food and beverages, especially green curries and watermelon shakes.

Where do I even begin on the street food? If you're envisioning little snacks on tiny carts, let me shed some light. The "carts" are basically fullout kitchens with all the ingredients for every Thai dish possible. They have grills, pots, woks, everything!! And on every street corner. Truly amazing. And delicious!

Finally! Fresh fruit! I eat fruit almost constantly. Good source of vitamins and refreshing. Perfect cure for the oppressive humidity here.

I even saw a movie! I wanted to act like a normal person rather than a tourist freak so I hit the mall, sat in coffee shops (okay, ice cream shops. Hey! Its really hot here!), and didn't even take my camera around (hence no photos in this part of the write-up). I really can't wait for the day when I hang up my camera for good. The good thing is that my photo-taking has gotten better but its heavy and a curse around my neck. But back to the movie. I ended up seeing the Da Vinci Code and enjoyed it thoroughly. I really love summer blockbusters, no matter how stupid so it was a great way to start off the season. And seeing movies in Thailand is pretty fun. For the same price as a US ticket, you can get a seat in the super-duper titanium platinum deluxe seats. They have full-on leather loveseats, waiters to take your munchies order and special bathrooms. Alas, I am a backpacker so I cheaply opted for normal US$3 seats. Lame but the other seats were expensive!! The other funny thing about Thai theaters is that they play the royal anthem and everyone has to stand up to commemorate the king. They also show this ridiculously propagandistic clip showing idealized peasants all worshiping the king. I tried not to laugh too loudly.

But its hard to really relax in this city. I'm staying in the Khao San Road area, notoriously full of backpackers and it loud and obnoxious here. So many travelers treat Bangkok as the last-stop party town and people go nuts here. Not just the annoying partiers everywhere, there are so many touts and lady-boys trying to get you to go to some bar or club, baring electronica or worse, bad American pop music. Ack!! You guys know this is NOT my scene. Especially after China, its really jarring to be treated just as a walking wallet.

Let me through!!

Though Bangkok hasn't been ideal, I needed the time here, not traveling and not planning. I haven't even seen any of the major sights in Bangkok! At least I've been able to take care of everything I needed to so it was time well spent. I have been able to find whatever ways to decompress so I really can't complain. But I'm really here waiting for Ang to arrive. Sitting and waiting.... Ang, where are you???

No comments: