Sunday, June 11, 2006

Intermission: what traveling is really like

First, a quick update on my postings. I was finally able to upload all the photos for the Thailand posts and, for once, am completely up to date on all my travels (yeah!!). I've added a whole lot over the last couple of days so if you haven't checked it in awhile, you should start at the Thailand posts. I hope you enjoy the pictures!

Also, I changed the commenting option so now you don't have to sign in to comment. Sorry! I didn't realize it was set up like that. Now, no one has any excuse for not commenting! :)

So I've been traveling for awhile now (7 months not including christmas and spring break) and I realized that you guys probably don't really have an idea of what my everyday existence is like. So I decided to show you bits of what its like to be me.
Usually, a lot of my time is dealt with administrative crap. I'm always purusing through various guidebooks to figure out my next destination, how to best get there, where I can stay, how much everything is going to cost (from bus tickets to tours to departure taxes) and when I can get out there. Otherwise, I am actually trying to make said plans. That means talking to and comparing many different travel agents (Lonely Planet actually said that the many of the travel agents on Khao San are "more crooked that a mountain pass"), trying to figure out schedules at train stations where no one speaks English, haggling with shopkeepers to get a price that isn't an embarrassing rip-off though I'm probably still getting ripped-off, and wandering around places, trying to discreetly look at my guidebooks without looking like I'm lost and a prime tourist target. I also usually get up way earlier than I did in my previous life, anytime between 6am and 8am, to catch whatever tour, bus or plane I voluntarily booked. I also get to bed much earlier at around 10pm or 11pm, exhausted after a long day of sightseeing. I also don't drink very much though I know I'm on vacation. I'm pretty uncomfortable about being drunk in an unknown place and in a foreign country where I don't really trust the people I'm with though I'm sure they're all lovely people. Drinking is also comparatively pretty expensive and since I would rather spend my money on gifts and souvenirs (for you guys!), its usually the first to go in tighter times.

I also wanted to share what I look like and what I carry everyday. I have a small daypack that looks like an old piece of carpet. I put it on in the morning and don't take it off until night, not even at restaurants or even going to the bathroom. I fear that its becoming permanently fused to my body but its better to be safe than sorry, right? I tote my camera with me everyday as well out of fear of missing that perfect shot. I'm getting tired of taking photos and I don't get as excited about mountain passes or interesting sceneries as I used to but I figure that with over 5,000 photos (and counting) I pretty much have enough. Its helping with my photography skills though.


Me in all my gear!! Note the steel cage around the big bag. I travel alone so I am super-paranoid about getting stuff stolen. The thing weighs 2 pounds on its own(!!) but its worth it. Also note the sensible tevas. I hope never to wear them again for the rest of my life.

My big and small packs! The small bag is key when I do smaller trips like treks. Everything I have with me while traveling has to fit inside these two bags. I started with a lot but now all I care about is weight. My big bag weighs around 35 pounds and it hurts after awhile. The lighter, the better, folks!

My daily essentials though I obviously can't take a picture of my camera. I both love and loathe that bag!! I actually don't use my guidebooks as much as I thought I would. Its has good logistical information but its better to get recommendations from people I meet.

I usually stay in places that look like this. Its so small that I can't take the picture while insdie the room. This is actually at the low-end of the places I stay but its only $4 and I'm only here for 1 night. At least I have my own room!

All my toiletries fit in this one itty-bitty bag. Sniff, I miss all my lotions and creams and conditioners and hair products at home. But I've learned to value the essentials. I hoard and steal toilet paper like its gold as well as the little bars of soap that hotels give you. You really can't put a price on that stuff. Yeah, sad I know. What have I been reduced to??

But of course, this is all the stuff that's not the amazing part of traveling - seeing incredible things and meeting interesting people! Its just the everyday lame stuff but you guys should get the complete picture, not just the fantastic photos! :)

After all this time, I can't believe I only have 7 weeks left though that also feels like forever. Its hard - I really love traveling and being able to experience all these amazing things but it also wears on you after awhile. But I know, when I look back at this experience, I will remember all the good and none of the bad and I'm sure I'll be wishing I could be on the road again very soon. I want it to last forever but I also can't wait for my life (school, friends, having actual belongings that don't need to be smashed into a backpack) to start. What's a world adventurer to do?

2 comments:

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angela said...

I definitely attest to Jane's post. It's amazing how much you can fit into these bags and you learn the art of rolling everything and who knew just how high your backpack can extend? And you want to burn those pants, but they are the only ones that you have. And yes, since plans are often made 0-2 days in advance, a lot of time is spent running around either trying to secure plans in the current destination or how to get to the next destination. People will often laugh when you talk about the stress of travelling (yes, poor baby. you get to see all these things) but it's true. It's hard to navigate a new place every other day. It's not all glorious, but it's also not a bad type of stress to have and I think anyone will tell you it's more than worth it in the end!!! So live it up Jane and enjoy what's left and come home safely!