Friday, July 21, 2006

Peekaboo sunshine in the whitsundays

After the depressing weather in Alice Springs, my parents and I were really looking forward to some good beach weather on the East Coast. We were told that its summer all year around in Queensland and surely the bad weather in one part of the country would have no baring on the weather in another part, especially in a place as gigantic as Australia. Well, so the theory goes, right?

We left early the next morning since we had to connect through Cairns before landing in Townsville. The clouds were finally lifting in Alice Springs so we were hopeful it would last through the rest of our trip. Yeah right. We were pretty dismayed by the rain and dark clouds in Cairns and downright disappointed when we landed in Townsville. The locals who kept exclaiming how unusual rain was in winter wasn't helping either. But we soldiered on anyway, taking time to poke around town before getting on our bus to Airlie Beach the next morning. And yes, the rain decided to follow us there so we spent the day, couped up in our hotel room rather than soaking in the rays as we had hoped.

But something miraculous occured the next morning. Blue skies! At the right time! We could barely contain ourselves. We had only 2 days at the Whitsunday Islands and we were sure we would be having more of the bizarre Australian rain. We quickly hopped into our bathing suits and rushed out to the beach despite the wind and cold water. It was sunny! We would enjoy it, dammit!

Dad and I basking in the sunshine.

The ships were pretty impressive, glistening proudly in the sun.

Beaches are good. Why did I leave them for the end of my trip?

We lucked out the next day as well as if He Who Lives Upstairs decided to pity us after our Uluru trip. We had booked ourselves on a boat to the famous Whitehaven beach so we definitely needed the sun for the full white sand beach effect. But before we headed to the actual beach, we stopped to do some snorkeling, and if you wanted to pay a bit more, some scuba diving. Having just received my certification, I was pretty keen though the water was looking a bit chilly. To my absolute surprise, my mom was also interested! I couldn't believe it. But she put on a brave face and went under. There were a few moments of panic at the beginning but she dove like a pro. I was so proud of her and happy that we could do it together. I don't know if she'll ever do it again but she did it! Unfortunately, due to all the recent storms, the visibility wasn't that great and it was pretty cold though the coral was still spectacular.

Our glistening boat in the early morning sun (yet another EARLY morning!).

Ready to hit the water despite the wind and cold. It was the middle of winter afterall.

Giving the okay sign! My dad made fun of us but I didn't see him getting in the water!

Obviously pretty excited about getting in there. My mom looks a little less enthused.

We did it!

But we were really there for Whitehaven beach and it was unbelievable. The beach was made up of unbelievably fine, pure bone white silica sand. It was so fine that it actually squeaked when you walked on it. It was just amazing to be sitting on the sand and admiring the views. But the view of the beach was even better from above. We hiked up to the top of this hill to get a look of the beach inlet. Because of the incredibly clear water and fine white sand, the beach took on this surreal swirly aspect with the sand shimmering below the water. It was like nothing I've ever seen before! I've seen pictures but it does not compare to seeing the swirly sand in person. We could have sat up there for days, watching the sands below.

The water was pretty low by the time we got to Whitehaven Beach but it was still so beautiful. I've never seen a beach like this ever!!

We could have stayed for hours watching the water swirl around the sand.

We also got some time to relax at the beach. The water was so clear and pristine.

The sand was 99% silica though I don't know what that really means. The sand was unbelievably fine and it even squeaked when we walked on it!

Yeah for the beach!!

But it wasn't all fun and games in Airlie Beach. While at the beach, I think sand got into my digital camera and now it doesn't work! I don't really want to talk about it because its going to make me very upset but you have no idea how tragic this is. I mean, its my camera!! So after all these months, after all the pictures, I'm going to be reduced to using a disposable point-and-shoot until I get home. Can you imagine????? I also got this weird skin rash on my shoulders. I'm not sure where but its lovely. Great, just great.

And to top our time at Airlie Beach off, the rains descended once again but we didn't care since we were leaving. We were so lucky to get the sunshine for the 2 days that we were there. Its a great way to top the trip off since my parents are taking off after this to head to Sydney for a couple of days before heading home. I'm sticking around Townsville for a few more days in hopes of scuba diving the Yongala, a really famous shipwreck, and spying koalas on Magnetic Island.

Before I sign off, I just want to give my parents a very special THANK YOU! I'm so glad that they were actually able to come out and travel with me and to a place that was so foreign to them (thank god I booked us some hotel rooms with kitchens in them. They don't eat a lot of Western food and could barely find things to eat. But we were able to cook some rice so we were saved!). They were such troopers in the rain and camping outdoors and even scuba diving. We ended up having such a great time though the weather was less than perfect and in the end, I couldn't have wished for a better trip. Mom and Dad - I love you guys very much and I hope we remember this trip for a very long time! See you soon!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hey! welcome back to the states! OK, now that you are vegging around and have unlimited internet access, let's see some aussie pics! see you sooooon!