Saturday, August 20, 2005

The Year of Jane

What: A travel blog, of course!

Who: Type-A, former investment banker, neurotic over-analyzer, prada purse carrying world adventurer. I worked my butt off for the last 3 years as an investment banker, 4 years before that at an Ivy League school, and 4 years before that working to have the esteemed honor of attending such institution, not including the most horrifying internship experiences possible. Was it worth it? Well, any answer but yes will make me cry.

Why: This is going to be the Year of Jane. I've decided there's more to life than back of the envelope merger plans and 6am worknights so I'm taking a year off for a modern day Grand Tour. That's right, I packed up my pencils, gave my notice and here I am, facing unemployment for at least 3 years. I'm taking just 30lbs of stuff (shocking, I know), a camera and this blog and hopefully have the time of my life!

When: Is there any better time than the present? I have 6 weeks left but a mountain of business school applications to get through before I leave.

How: Gut wrenching soul-searching, budgets, travel books, web researching, lots of to-do lists. I know this year is supposed to teach me to take more chances and push myself outside of my boundaries but let go of my to-do lists?? I'm becoming a world adventurer, not a crazy person.

Where: Well, now there's the question! For at least until the end of the year I will be in Argentina and Patagonia but I'm still trying to work out the rest. I have a whole YEAR for godssake!!

It'll be lonely traveling on my own so if any of you feel a bit of wanderlust, I would LOVE the company! Also, please leave me comments. I will definitely be missing everyone at home.

No comments: