Thursday, October 27, 2005

Missing home

I thought I would add one more little post tonight. Recently, I've started to feel a little homesick. Don't get me wrong, being here is an incredible experience and I am having a blast but I wish all my friends and family could be here, too! I'm also not super-comfortable in the residence. Its great that I can immediately associate with a group of people so there's always someone to talk to and something to do but that's also sort of the problem. I definitely feel like I'm a freshman again, trying to make friends in the dorms. I think its also the age gap. I'm a bit older than some of the others here and I think its harder for some to adjust to living on their own or at least realize that the world doesn't always revolve around them. But for the most part, I really do like it here. There are a couple of people that I hang-out with on a regular basis and they are really making my experience pretty great. Its nice to explore a new place with other people.

Actually, my biggest complaint about the residence is the lack of Spanish spoken here. We're all students in the same boat so any type of conversation in Spanish would end in two seconds. So for November, I've decided to move to a homestay, which I know is pretty risky but I figure it'll be just for one month. And if I decide that I really don't like it, I can always just move back into the residence. I'm meeting some potential families this week so at least I'll see the house and meet the people before I move in. Hopefully, it will be an opportunity to immerse myself more in the culture rather than hanging out with a big group of Americans all the time. But I'm a bit worried about moving into someone else's house and feeling a bit like an intruder. I move in on November 2nd so we'll see!

I miss everyone back home! Write comments or emails to let me know what everyone else is up to!

1 comment:

InfoMofo said...

Hola Janus-
¡Que exciting-o! ¡No puedo believer que tĂș are doing this!

There, that should meet your spanish quota for now. It's great to hear about your crazy world tour. Keep us all posted on all the lower hemisphere hijinks.

Don't cry for me in Argentina,

-Will

P.S. As for the video you sent me, the answer is Yes. We were exactly like that.