Saturday, April 10, 2010

Back on the road

So after all this time I've decided to revisit the travel blog and post about my travels. Even after all these years, I love looking back at my "modern day grand tour" and remember all the great places I've been and the amazing things I've done. As I (sadly) grow older and have less time for such adventures these memories are even more important! Even since my world trip in 2005-06 I've been to some really incredible places so I'm going to have to go back and document them at least with some pictures.

I don’t think this will surprise anyone but I love to travel, and the stranger and more far-flung the better. But some things do change. As I get older and get better jobs, I find I can live without the hostel dorm rooms, budget overnight border crossings and poorly self-cooked rice and bean dinners. Not that its 5-star travel but I appreciate showers with hot water, quick and efficient plane rides and the occasional taxi. But don’t worry, I’m still keeping it real.

So to the present day. Now as a working stiff, its harder to find the time for any type of extended travel but I always do seem to find a way. I'm in the middle of transitioning my career and with a new job comes time before having to start it all up again. This time I really hit the jackpot, not only with a great job I'm thrilled about, but with a start date 3 months away! So, of course, I immediately started researching plane tickets and destinations. So for the next three months, I'll be in Southern Africa on safari and doing volunteer work (South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Namibia), Cabo San Lucas for a good friend's birthday (not the same type of travel but international nonetheless) and then to Japan where my brother and sister-in-law have recently moved to. Whew, busy.

So where am I now? I'm currently at Heathrow awaiting my flight to Jo'burg. I’m ridiculously excited to be back on the road and to see Southern Africa but not looking forward to my 11-hour flight Jo’burg since it already took me 11 hours to get here. I love to travel but why does everything have to be so far away?

1 comment:

Angela said...

YES!!! The return of the blog. I was so sad at its absence these past years even though I know you've had some crazy adventures!