Monday, April 12, 2010

Cry, the beloved country

What was I expecting when I arrived in Johannesburg? Hmm, tough question. First of all, its considered to be dangerous where the chances of getting mugged are pretty much next to certain. Second, South Africa has such a complicated history with race relations and the apartheid so I really wanted to learn more. Finally, I was also meeting up with my Intrepid tour group, which can be such a gamble. After all, I’m stuck with this group for 8 whole days so they better be good!

Luckily, my time in Jo’burg was amazing. I saw Soweto (a fascinating township with a tragic role in the apartheid history), went to the Apartheid Museum and met a fantastic group of people for my safari tour.

Welcome to Soweto, one of the major townships outside of Jo’burg. Townships are suburbs of the cities though they can be nothing more than shanty towns. They also historically were the areas that Africans were segregated to during the apartheid.

Kids playing soccer in the shanty areas of Soweto. World Cup fever has definitely taken hold here. Go Bafana Bafana!
I visited both the Apartheid Museum and Mandela House, both incredible museums.

A quick word about the tour. Its an overland trip from Jo’burg through Botswana and ending in Zambia at Victoria Falls. Which means, on top of the loads of animals we’ll see, its going to be one looooooonnnnnnggg road trip. I don’t really mind because I love watching the road pass by plus we’re riding in this gigantic truck so we’ll be riding in style.
On the road and my first wildlife sighting! There was actually a hippo just hanging out at the petrol station. How funny does it look? But be careful, hippos kill more people than any other animal in Africa.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Not as dangerous as those rhinos though. They will charge at trees!