Monday, February 20, 2006

Welcome back, buenos aires!

Sometimes I think to myself, is this really me? Am I really doing this?? It just seems so strange and extraordinary and completely unlike me to be out here traveling for so long. I like organization and I like having things planned out and being out here is the complete opposite of that. Everyday is really a brand new day, with new destinations and new experiences, sometimes unexpected, but always interesting. I don't always like traveling - when it comes down to it, I'm not really the backpacker-type. I get tired of constantly packing/unpacking my backpack, having to always watch my stuff, not knowing where I'm going or how I'm going to get there and putting on the "Hi! My name is Jane!" face to people I will know for only 2 days. But its all worth it during those moments when the things I see or experience literally leave me breathless. Those perfect moments you wish you can freeze and stay there forever. This truly is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity where I get to go places and do things I never imagined before or will probably experience again. Its easy, even out here, to get caught up in the everyday things and worries and forget the big picture. I complain and constantly worry about the things I have to do when I get back to the States but I'm always grateful for this time and try to experience as much as possible. I'll always be able to look back and say, see! that was me! I did that in that moment!

But as great as it is to constantly see new things, I'm very very happy to be back in Buenos Aires! I will be here for about a month and its very exciting. You have no idea how great it felt to put my clothes in drawers and put my damn backpack away. I was actually successful in organizing a homestay and I think its going to work out! I've heard so many horror stories but so far, so good. I'm staying with a woman and her son but I know her son, Gaston, from before so at least I wasn't going in blind. The woman, Sonia, is also very nice and easy-going so I feel comfortable there - well, as comfortable as I can be in someone else's home. The apartment is pretty big and breakfast and dinner are both included. I also have my own room and its so nice to actually have some personal space! And I can now take a proper shower with all my soaps and lotions spread out! Its funny the things you miss. I've also gone pretty nuts with the shopping but I can't stand the sight of my ugly, function travel clothes, especially the tapered pants with zip-off legs. Very chic, I know. Its also very serious business when you consider how trendy Buenos Aires is. And cheap!

My room! I have a twin bed but at least the room is big enough for 2. I couldn't fit my closet in the picture but its probably my favorite part :).

The other side of the room. As you can see, I've made myself feel right at home.

I'm here to continue with my Spanish lessons and volunteer work. I've missed my kids! I would have came here first rather than travel through Peru and Bolivia but it is so unbelievably hot and humid here during the summers. The weather in the last couple of days have been in the 80's and 90's with humidity you can cut with a knife! And this is the end of summer! But in any case, I'm glad I put my time in Buenos Aires at the end because it gives me time to recover from constantly traveling. And this time around, I actually know the city and have friends here so I actually feel like I have a life to come back to here. I´ve been just walking around the city with a big grin on my face. I forgot how beautiful and cultured this city is. I'm sure the reality of everyday life will settle in but I'm going to enjoy this as long as I can!

2 comments:

Richard said...

I love your blog, and your enthusiasm for travelling. I've just come back from a year's trip myself and tried to sum up what I felt when thinking about the stuff I'd just done - but you describe it much better than I did.

Have a great time on the rest of your travels - I see in your itinerary that you're off to Australia. It's a fantastic country to explore, you'll love it. Also get over to New Zealand if you can - it's awesome. Bon voyages...!

Carla said...

You will never get bored in Argentina. You can do many things: from a simple picnic or afternoon retreat in Plaza San Martín to a day spent exploring the museums along Avenida del Libertador, there are plenty of Buenos Aires activities to keep you busy. When I travelled there I had decided to rent an apartment in buenos aires and I kapt myself entertained with many of these attractions!